Thursday, July 30, 2009

Beer and Race

Apparently, serious, longstanding racial issues can be solved by beer.

Apparently, speaking without knowing the facts can also be solved by beer.

To be frank, I find this unsatisfactory.

I don’t know what happened in the now famous arrest of Professor Henry Louis Gates. I am inclined to think that he was unruly, and said things he should not have said. I am inclined to think that perhaps the officer had a different route he could have taken toward resolution.

I am pretty young and I don’t have a PhD and a Harvard professorship, but I know better than to smart off to police officers. I know, I know … I am not black. I have never been pulled over for DWB. But copping an attitude does not seem to be a good way to change race relations. It does not seem to be a good way to convince the cops that you are not a bad guy.

Here’s what else I know: The president should have stopped with “I don’t know all the facts.” His comments that reflected poorly on law enforcement officers should not be washed away with a beer.

I am not sure what Professor Gates should do. I am not sure what Officer Crowley should do.

I am sure that the president should do more than “calibrate” his words differently (whatever that means). He should actually apologize for what he said.

Wouldn’t that be a change?

1 comment:

Patrick Berryman said...

I'm inclined to agree with you on your assessment of the actions of both Gates and Officer Crowley. I also agree that the President should have stopped with "I don't know all of the facts", even though I tend to agree with his conclusion. If he felt compelled to add to his statement, I would also have added that Professor Gates acted stupidly in trying to turn a general welfare call by the police into a racial profiling incident.

What I don't get is how this man can be a professor of race relations at a prestigious private university, yet he can't distinguish between an officer coming to his home to ensure that he and his home were safe and an officer intentionally antagonizing a person because of his skin color.