Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thoughts on the Inauguration

I watched it today, as I usually do, interested to see the pomp and circumstance. I had a few thoughts.

I was amazed by the speech, and not in a good way. I thought it was a rather weak effort, both in terms of rhetoric and delivery. I think he played a lot of the old cards that he was claiming were over. I thought he came across as petty and trivial at times, and as cliche at others. I thought he gave up a great opportunity to cast a vision for America going forward. I thought he failed at that.

I thought this line was interesting: "the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness."

The truth is Obama doesn't believe that and never has. He does not believe all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness. He believes that some should be slaughtered in the womb before ever seeing the light of day.

Best poetry of the day? It wasn't the poet. It was the preacher, who in spite of racist tinges in his benediction, manage to put together some memorable lines.

In the end, another peaceful exchange of power reminds that democracy, for all its ills, is still the best form of government for a fallen people.

No comments: