Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Am A Fundamentalist

No, I am not one of those kind. Or one of those.

In fact, whatever you think of as a fundamentalist is probably not me, unless you know me well. Which means it may be unwise for me to use the name fundamentalist. But I don’t use it very often, particularly in my personal arena of ministry precisely because it means nothing to anybody.

I am a fundamentalist because I believe the Bible and the gospel is important. Important enough to separate over. But I don’t think the lines are always clear. And I think some people draw them in the wrong places.

I am a fundamentalist because I think there are lines that necessitate separation even from fellow believers who have good intentions and preach clearly and faithfully. I think separation is necessary because association sends wrong and dangerous messages about the gospel.

I am not a fundamentalist because I care what someone writes on their drums; I don’t care. In fact, I don’t care if they wear a tie or a t-shirt, or a suit or jeans, or socks. I don’t care if they use the KJV or the NIV. I don’t care if they sing Sovereign Grace or Isaac Watts. Or John Newton or Chris Tomlin. Or St. Francis of Assisi or Mac Lynch. I don’t care if they read Driscoll or Mohler. Or Piper or Mahaney. Or Ridderbos or Von Rad. Or Barth or Barrett (whichever Barrett you thought of).

I am not a fundamentalist because I like other fundamentalists. Sometimes I don’t. I do not want to be associated with some of what goes on the name of fundamentalism. I think they handle the Scripture too trivially too often. I think it becomes a prop in their personal sideshow. I think it is often a “good ol’ boys club” and I am not old … yet, and the only club I want to be a part of has eighteen holes and very nice grass with inconveniently placed sand boxes.

I think they too often fail to separate their personal preferences from God’s.

I think there is often way too much attention paid to what we do and not nearly enough to what we love.

I do care if they take the Bible seriously. All of it. Even when it makes us uncomfortable. Even when they disagree with me.

I do care if they are more about building kingdoms or movements than they are about building disciples. I do care if they are more worried about what some pastor in another state is doing in his church than they are about what some man down the street is doing on the way to hell.

I don’t care if they preach to someone who disagrees with them. I do care if they lend credence to those who are living in disobedience or denying the gospel.

I don’t care if they use strong language and preach hard and directly about sin. I do care if they trivialize the gospel through foul language or course humor.

I don’t care if they argue against what I believe. I do care if they pretend to argue against what I believe while actually arguing against something no one believes.

I am a fundamentalist. I am not going there, or there, or anywhere else.

No comments: