Thursday, May 28, 2009

Books for Men

Someone recently asked me about books for men. Here’s a short list that comes to mind. Feel free to suggest others.

The Disciplines of a Godly Man – R. Kent Hughes – Hands down, the best book on men that I have read. My wife (who wasn’t my wife at the time) gave it to me more than sixteen years ago. I have read it multiple times. Among the most frequently visited books in my library.

The Complete Husband – Lou Priolo – An excellent and penetrating book on being a husband. Well worth the time to read it. Like Hughes, a bit painful at times. So brace yourself.

Living the Cross Centered Life – C. J. Mahaney – Not just for men, but a book every man needs to read and think about.

When Sinners Say I Do – Dave Harvey – An excellent book on marriage. Men, read it, and take the leadership in your marriage by living like a forgiven sinner who is extending the same kind of grace to your wife that you received from God.

Sex Is Not the Problem, Lust Is – Joshua Harris – A great book on biblical sexuality. Originally titled Not Even a Hint.

2 comments:

Mark Ward said...

Larry,

Great books! I have most of them on my shelf. I'm reading "When Sinners say 'I do." A great selection of books for every man to read! Thanks for the recommendations. Leaders are readers!

Don Johnson said...

I didn't like Priolo. Too much self-promotion, too much "the man is the problem", not enough Bible, as I recall.

Maranatha!
Don Johnson
Jer 33.3