Friday, January 06, 2006

Studies That Prove ...

Reading another blog today brought a smile to my face. It was discussing the issue of friendliness in the church, a needed discussion, IMO. But what made me laugh was the paragraph,
Studies have shown that the single most important factor in predicting whether a church will grow is not the number of visitors that come through the doors; it is the percentage of them that stick around. It is the Velcro Factor; not the Magnet Factor.
And I thought, "No kidding." Do we really need a study to tell that us that churches where the visitors don't "stick around" won't grow? I thought that was obvious.

It kind of reminds of the studies that show that men and women are different. Save the money and buy me dinner. It would be a more productive use of the grant money.

Overall, I thought the article on friendliness was good. I think far too often, our churches are closed off to people they don't know, or who aren't like them. I remember visiting a church by myself one time. It was a large fundamental church (600+ on Sunday mornings), very traditional in its style and format, previously pastored by one man for more than forty years. The new pastor had been there around eight years as I recall. It was the church that my wife grew up in, but I had visited there only on several occasions with her, and knew only two or three people in the church.

I arrived about five minutes early, walked in to the church through the main doors, walked through the lobby behind the auditorium to the far side (probably 50 yards or so of mingling people, conversing with one another), went in and sat about four rows from the back. After church, I walked back across the lobby, stopped in the restroom, walked out the door, got in my car, and drove home. I walked to the far side on purpose, as a part of my experiement.

In that whole time, I was greeted by one person ... a man on crutches in the parking lot who arrived at the same time I did. He said, "Hi, how are you?" One other person gave me a brief nod on the way out. I left thinking to myself how unfriendly that church was. They all talked to people they knew, but no one stopped me to shake my hand, introduce themselves, ask if they could help me find something. I was a total stranger and no one said anything to me.

I contrasted that experience with the experience I had earlier that morning when I visited a large seeker church in the greater Chicago area. (Yes, that's the one.) When I got there, there were people directing parking. Within ten seconds of walking through the door, a man with a nametag shook our hands, looked us in the eye, and introduced himself, asking where we were from and if this was our first time. He asked if he could help us find something, so we asked where the restrooms were. He told us how to get there and then told us how to find our way back to the auditorium. When we got to the auditorium doors, there were people with bulletins (is that what they call them???) who shook our hands again.

I contrast these two experiences in my mind. In both, I was totally unknown to the people in the church. In both, I walked in five or so minutes before the church started. In both, I was dressed in "business casual" type dress, as a clean cut, professional looking man. But in one, I was warmly greeted, made to feel welcome, and asked if I could be directed somewhere. In the other, I was almost completely ignored, save for one man hobbling on two crutches.

I think sometimes we need to step back and imagine ourselves as visitors to our own church. If we did not know anyone, how would our experience be? And having done that study, what do we need to do that change it to make it better.

Don't think I am downplaying the role of the Word in drawing people to church. I most certainly am not. I am not talking about salvation by friendship. The Word is what will save people. But let's be honest. The relationships that we build with people will often determine what church they attend, and whether or not they come back to ours. We need to be visitor sensitive, in the right sense. Imagine yourself going some place totally new, and imagine your feelings and fears. Ask yourself what would make it easier for you. And then start to put it to practice.

5 comments:

Frank Sansone said...

Larry,

I agree that this is important and the Pastor (and staff if there is one) needs to set an example in this area.

One of the benefits of a small church like mine is that it is immediately obvious that someone is a visitor and I, as Pastor, usually have to wait through a number of other people visiting and conversing with the visitor before I can even get a chance to talk to them.

One of my concerns, however, is keeping that excitement and interest in the visitors as we grow. It can become easy to just gather with friends rather than showing ourselves friendly to new people.

On a related note, I have a question for you.

I am the kind of fundy that would not even visit the "seeker-sensitive" church that you mention, but hearing of your experience is helpful. Did you get any sense of "customer service" rather than "friendliness"? I am not saying there is/was, but I have often wondered if churches that are so programmed and organized in such areas (including some rather large "fundamental" churches that are known for this type of thing)give off a sense of "I'm the official greeter here to greet you..." rather than "Wow, I'm really glad to see you this morning, etc."

Just wondering,

Frank

Anonymous said...

My experience there was very positive in terms of the greeting. It wasn't "customer service" at all. It seemed very genuine and helpful. Of course, I don't think "customer service" is bad. I worked in retail for five years and I hate being ignored in a store now (the two or three times a year that I go to a store). I don't think we should associate "customer service" with "bad" or "unbiblical," and perhaps you are not doing that. I don't think it was fake in the least.

It was far better than being ignored. Were I not committed to going to church, I would not have returned to the fundamental church. Of course, I haven't been back since, but that's because I don't live there.

I think it is important to have a hospitality team to greet people. I would love for it to start in the parking lot. These are small things, and might seem "unspiritual," but I don't think they are. I think it is a part of the ministry of the gospel.

Anonymous said...

I have noticed that it is not too hard to encourage church folk to be friendly on first contact, but that they seem to run out of things to say the second and third time the visitor visits. It's "reeling" them in that is sometimes more difficult.

Great post.

p.s. I too weary of studies that declare the obvious as if another earth-shaking discovery has been made. It's good to know others chuckle at them too!

Frank Sansone said...

Larry,

Thanks for the response. You answered what I was trying to find out.

As far as "customer service", I agree that it is not in and of itself a bad thing. What I was referring to was the sense that yes, they greeted me and did all the external things correctly, but they did it in such a way that makes you feel like they are just following a routine - albeit the routine is a good one.

Obviously from your experience, that was not the case. They displayed true friendliness and helpfulness. That is what I want to continue to see from our people as we grow. Because of that, I have been thinking through do I just continue to emphasize the need for everybody to be friendly or do I start to actually designate some roles like "greeter" or "host" to make sure that no one slips through the cracks.

To clarify, I don't think that these things are necessarily opposed to each other (i.e. "friendliness" vs. "greeters"), but I was wondering if, when put in practice on an official scale, if the designation of specific people as "greeters", etc. tended to lead the "non-greeters" to think "someone else is taking care of that" and lessen the sense of "every member should be friendly." Obviously, it was not a problem at the church you visited.

Thanks again for your time. Good post.

In Christ,

Pastor Frank Sansone

BTW, in defense of Dan and the maligned studies, while I agree with you in part, I think that the point that was trying to be made is that many people think "if we can just draw a bigger crowd through better advertising or bigger events (the Magnet factor), we will grow" and the corollary concept tht the reason why some churches grow is just that they are better at promotion. Dan (and the studies) are saying that promotion actually has relatively little to do with the growth (both growing and non-growing churches tend to receive 3% - 5% visiting each week), rather it is what they do when those people come. I realize that the last part of that is the "duh" factor of the study, but the study does actually say something relevant here.

Patrick Berryman said...

Excellent observation Larry. I've been to your church and the people are definitely friendly. I also had a great experience at Bob's church. You guys must be practicing what you preach.