Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Quest for the Timeless

Why is it that some are interested in transcending the age in which they live in quest for the "transcendant"? I have always been curious about those with such a concern. It may be a legitimate concern at times. It may also be a concern of one with their head stuck in the sand.

But whenever I hear this complaint/concern/wish/observation, I never fail to remember a stanza from one of the few transcendant hymns ever written:

To serve this present age,
My calling to fulfill,
O may it all my powers engage
To do my Master's will.

Would we not all do well to quit thinking about what might survive in the church in 2105 and worry about serving the age that God as called us to live in? Worse things could be said then that we ministered to the people that live around us.

Would to God that this generation would focus all our powers on serving the age in which God has called us to live.

No comments: