Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Credible Messengers

Recent controversy has developed over the movie "End of the Spear," which is a recounting of the story of the martyrdom of five missionaries in January, 1956, and the resulting work among the Indian tribe who savagely attacked them. It is a fascinating story. Unfortunately, it has been marred by the decision to cast a homosexual activist in one of the leading roles.

All over the blogosphere Every Tribe Entertainment (ETE) has been vilified and defended for this casting decision. Defenders have said that the actor is never confused with the actual person, ETE didn't know he was an activist when they cast him, homosexuality is no worse than adultery or lying, etc.

But it seems to me that we have forgotten Paul's principle of blameless ministers. 1 Timothy 3 lays out a standard for pastors. 1 Thessalonians 1 reminds us that credible messengers are to be the ones delivering the message. Should the message of martyrdom for the gospel be borne on the backs of open rejection of that very gospel?

Why would a Christian producer even think of casting an activist homosexual in the role of a man whose committment to the gospel of Jesus Christ is matched by so very few? Has discernment really fallen that far? Is good acting ability ("he had the best audition" was one reason given for his selection) really more important than a credible lifestyle that supports the whole premise of the movie?

I am routinely challenged by the story of these five men, and realize the paltry price that I have paid. In fact, to call it a price that I have paid would be a great exaggeration. My Christianity has cost me precious little. When I see the stories of men like Nate Saint and the others, my own heart is challenged, almost to despair. When I see a homosexual activist cast in the role of one of these men, my despair turns to anger.

Whether or not a movie is the best, or proper, medium for this story, it is indisputable that a homosexual activist should have no part in it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but that's secondary to a MUCH bigger issue. What if the number of fundamentalists posting on this gave the same energy and attention to confronting and correcting the wrong views of the gospel presented in Christian and secular media over the last year? Now THAT would be profitable. It's like the entire ship is sinking and everyone is focused on the ship's captain having steered it into an iceberg. If the captain lives, there will be another day for reprimanding him and disecting WHY they hit the iceberg. For now, the ship is sinking, the gospel presentation is marred. Forget the captain. It's irrelevant to force the captain into an apology. Get the people on a lifeboat. Move them along calmly, graciously. If the captain wants to come along, FINE. If not, that's his choice.

If the fundamentalist blog world would take the time in thoughtful analysis of the message of the movie that they've spent dealing with the Saint family's motivation in hiring Allen, the fight for the purity of the gospel would be much better served.

In my humble opinion.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments Wendy. I agree and disagree. How's that for a fundamentalist?? Taking both sides of an issue.

I agree in that we should be devoting energy and attention to correcting wrong views of the gospel in both Christianity and secular media. Incidentally, I think it is being done (cf. Mohler last night on LKL).

I disagree that such confrontation precludes confronting other instances of sin such as this. Why not do both?

I can't analyze the message of the movie since I have not yet seen it. I have heard some things that cause concern. I have read in years past Through Gates of Splendor, The Journals of Jim Elliot, and Jungle Pilot (I think that was the title of Saint's book, but I can't remember the exact title). I am currently reading The Shadow of the Almighty, so I am fairly well familiar with the story.

In fact, the purity of the gospel is one of my concerns with the movie. Perhaps today I will write a post about that for perusal.

But thanks for reading. I appreciate your comments, even when you disagree with me.

Anonymous said...

Have you read the Christianity Today article posted at Sharper Iron? I found it a reasonable discussion of the issue and did not find fault with Saint's analysis of the issue.

It brings up an interesting ministry issue--what role can the unsaved play in the church? Our church works to involve people as soon as they walk through the door. Of course, unbelievers aren't doing sensitive ministry things that need mature believers, but they are involved in working hand in hand with established church members in set up and tear down, making coffee, graphic design, etc. The idea is that, along with sound preaching, they need to be involved up close and personal with the lives of believers and that relationship is key to continuing discipleship after they come to faith. I believe this is similar to Saint's thought process in allowing Allen to continue in the movie.

Allen wasn't a preacher. He's an actor in a movie. I can't say I would have a problem with an unsaved actor portraying the disciples in an easter play either. It would seem a great way to immerse them in the story at hand with an eye on their conversion.

This has all been interesting to think through.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I saw that this morning. To me, it sounds like ETE has changed their stories several times. I am not sure what to believe about it.

I did not find Saint's comments compelling. Since Allen was not under contract, and especially since Allen volunteered to remove himself, they should have jumped all over it and taken the out. I thought the whole dream explanation was troubling.

I think at the very least, we can say that the casting decision was unwise. I think we could say more, but at the very least, it was unwise.

I do think we could get unsaved people involved in certain aspects of ministry, if they are willing. Setup, tear down, various things like that give a great chance to build relationship, and to show them how Christians live and work. I would stop short of involving them in a play or something, I think.

I also think we would have to make continuously clear that doing things for the church is not the same as salvation, and I am sure you guys do that out there.

There are some tough things in teh whole ETE scenario. But whenever sin is involved, there are no easy choices and no easy remedies.