Thursday, April 22, 2010

Great Fishing Story

My friend Dave hits the nail on the head with this story of watching a man fish. You gotta read the whole thing to understand his point. It’s a great one.

Then it hit me. The old guy was catching fish! A lot of fish. A lot more than the other dudes combined. When he caught one, he quickly unhooked it and put it in his little paint bucket, now half-full of flopping sardines. His hooks were never out of the water for more than a few seconds. He wasn't too chatty with the other guys. Just catching fish. …

Christians do not need fancy poles. We just need to get our hooks in the waters so teeming with fish. We need to pray, meet people, and tell them about Jesus.

It reminds me of something I heard Ed Stetzer say recently: A lot of conferences are like “ministry p0rn.” You go and see someone else’s church and start lusting after it and fail to love the one God gave you. Stop it.

I don’t know why Dave’s story reminds me of Ed’s comment, except that it reminds me to fish in the pond in front of you.

While you’re at Dave’s check out his recent comments on mission trips. Having been on a number of them, his comments resonates with me.

No comments: