Monday, June 29, 2009

This and That

Detroit City Council President Pro Tem Monica Conyers traded an $81,000 a year job (plus a city-owned car) for $6000 in bribes. With people whose math skills (and character) see that trade as making sense, it is no wonder that the Detroit is deep trouble financially. I bet this scandal goes pretty deep. Look for KK to be back from TX before it’s all over. I don’t know that I have ever seen a ruder, more socially inept person than MonCon. Of course maybe calling the council president “Shrek” takes place in cities other than Detroit.

What good does it do to sentence a 71 year old man to 150 years in prison? Isn’t that a bit of style over substance? Why not twenty years or thirty? Perhaps it is the world of feel-goodism. We feel better about things even when they make no difference. It is the emotional pound of flesh we are after.

The Tigers are in first place, and I am predicting they will be there at the All-Star break. Don’t hold your breath for October baseball in Detroit though. Zumaya and Rodney are too scary for that. On the other hand, Verlander and Jackson are scary the other way. Hold on to your rally caps, and hope it doesn’t come down to late innings very often.

I like the Lion’s chance this year. I think they will be able to suit up with the best of them. They should be in every game right up until kick-off. There were some photos of mini-camp recently, and I thought they look tough. Some were even sweating.

Seriously, I think the Lions will be better than most people think. Don’t expect the 06 Tigers or the 09 Dolphins or Falcons. But look for 6-8 wins. And come December, remember you heard it here in June.

3 comments:

Bill Combs said...

Well,
I have a couple answers:
In the case of Conyers--6,000 is what the FBI can clearly prove. She's pretty dumb, but probably not that dumb to trade her inflated salary for only 6,000. The articles in the papers hint that she was probably taking thousands in dollars of bribes for years.

20 years these days might get you paroled in 7. 150 just insures he will die in prison.

Bill Combs said...

I may be wrong about the 7 years if this is strictly a federal case since I don't think there is much parole i the federal system.

Larry said...

As for MonCon, I wondered about more stuff, but I would think that if the feds could have gotten her on more, they would have, or would have included in the deal some type of testimony in exchange for lesser charges. Who knows ... Her husband has not been implicated yet, but there is an article this morning about some deal in Romulus that he switched positions on. (How's that for rumor-milling?)

As for parole, I haven't seen any reference to parole possibility. Usually, it seems like that is an item in news stories, I think. But who knows.