Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Cultural Factors of City Churches

I would like to propose a question for the masses. However, I will instead just post it here for both of my readers.

What are the cultural factors of city churches? I am particularly referencing the issues that urban churches would deal with that a suburban church would not.

If a church were to be planted in an inner-city area, what particular cultural and social issues would have to be dealt with in some way that would not show up as much in an suburban area?

What would a healthy urban church look like?

I am not referring to doctrinal fidelity here, so we can dispense with talking about the necessity of preaching the gospel, making disciples, separating from false churches and false teachers, etc.

I have some ideas I have collected for a while, but am interested in other people's thinking on this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is not one culture for the city church. For example (here in Minneapolis):

Poor, high crime area: Issues: broken families, single parent families, blended families, difficulty finding qualified leaders (deacons), church will have unique financial needs.

University area: Multi-national, educated, many discipleship / evangelism needs.

Young professional area: Young college educated workers beginning careers, cultural orientation, young marrieds, etc. / Emergent / Seeker orientation.

Downtown established mega-church: Established, many ministries, draws from the city and the suburbs.

I live in the suburbs (Plymouth, MN) and worship in the same suburb. I work downtown. I know of churches in all areas above. 2 are fundamental Baptist, 1 is emergent church, 1 is well-known, Baptist General Conference church.