Monday, May 29, 2006

How Can You Do That?

One more thing on this "mind-clearing Monday." Yesterday afternoon, I watched a little bit of Paula White "preaching." Hearing her appeals for money planting the seed brought a question to my mind. How can someone prostitute the word of God in such a shameless fashion?

Later last night I was watching Liberty University's TV program and saw Dr. Ergun Caner preaching on why he was predestined not to be a hyper-Calvinist. A similar question came to my mind.

In a day where multitudes lack theological discernment and basic rudimentary knowledge of the Bible, the Bible can be used to be all things to all men, while fawn crowds gleefully pile in the bus headed down to the latest theological circus. God help us.

Speaking of fauns, I watched The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe over the weekend. Someone had graciously given us a copy. It has been years since I read the book, and so my memory was definitely foggy. I am not a big fan of fantasy. It took me about two weeks to slog through LOTR. But LWW was pretty interesting, if not a little long. It seemed to be well done. The technology of mixing animation with live acting increasingly amazes me.

The theological themes that I suppose Lewis intended were easily seen if you have some theological knowledge. Of course, the theological themes were pretty bad, it seems to me. The "ransom to Satan" theory was propounded, as well as this whole idea that Christ is sitting around waiting for something while Satan rules the world without limits. Perhaps I am reading too much into the film, and don't know enough about Lewis's theology. And perhaps the film was substantially different than the book. But it reminds me not to get my theology from films.

No comments: