Monday, October 10, 2005

The Church

Recently, I have been preaching a topical series (extremely rare for me since I prefer preaching through books of the Bible). This series was entitled "Back to the Basics" and was intended to be a introductory series or a refresher course on the basics of Christianity. We have covered the Bible, God, Jesus, and Baptism. Yesterday we talked about the Church, and next week we will close with self, focusing on the necessary response of the human heart that has been confronted with these truths about the basics.

This past week I devoted my thoughts once again to the Church. The longer I am a pastor, the more I am convinced that the Church is the hope for the future. Families are a vital and fundamental part of God's plan for life. It was the first human relationship He created, and it is the means by which we physically "fill the earth" (Genesis 1:28). Schools have their place in the formal education of young people (and older people as well). Jobs and careers "bring home the bacon." But the Church alone brings the hope of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and it is only through the gospel that families, education, jobs, and whatever else we find in our lives can be brought to a place of genuine coherency. Lives without the foundation of Christ and His Church are a mishmash of little boxes, hastily tied together, bursting at the seams as they try to make sense out of our existence. Only when we understand that the Church and her gospel is the supreme earthly organism through which all of life is to be filtered do the many boxes become part of a coherent philosophy of life.

Rabbit trail — I have taken some heat from some for my "radical view" of the church and the high place that I give it. I genuinely believe it is the most important thing in life. I have been accused of asking people to put church over family. I however contend that the most important thing a family can do is Church. What better thing can a dad do for his children than to expose them constantly to the faithful preaching and teaching of Scripture? I have yet to come up with something. I am so radical, I tend to think vacations ought to be arranged around church. But I guess I am wierd that way.

In my almost seven years at Grace, I have rarely preached the same passage more than once. I preached through Hebrews 11 twice, once on Sunday nights and about five years later on Sunday morning. I preached through James and then later taught through James in my Adult Bible Study group. In both of these cases, we have gained enough new people who had not been at the original series, and in the case of Hebrews 11, we were in the midst of a 52 week journey through Hebrews and I felt it strange to skip Hebrews 11. I figured if God took the time to inspire it, I might as well take the time to preach it ... and twice wouldn't hurt. But I digress. In my seven years, the only passage I have returned to multiple times has been Acts 2:41-47. I have done it because it is so central to what the Church is. I find it helpful for me to review periodically exactly what it is we are supposed to be and to be doing. And I figure that if I need to be reminded, the church does as well. So yesterday, I highlighted nine characteristics of the NT church and decided to blog them with little comment. (You can listen to the sermon if you are interested in more.) Here they are.
So then, those who had received his word were baptized; and that day there were added about three thousand souls. 42 They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles. 44 And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common; 45 and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need. 46 Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved. (Acts 2:41-47)
I. The Church is people who have received the Word (v. 41).
The church is first and foremost people, not a building, and it is people who have embraced the person and work of Jesus Christ. We call them "saved." You are not part of "the church" because you are here. You are part of "the church" because you are saved.
II. The Church is people who have been baptized (v. 41).
Baptism is a public profession of the fact that have "received the Word." Baptism always follows salvation.
III. The Church is people who always study the Bible (v. 42).
The apostolic teaching has been passed down to us in the Bible. It is what we are to devote our lives to, and it is the center of our existence at Grace.
IV. The Church is people who share their lives constantly (v. 42).
Fellowship is not merely socializing over donuts and coffee. It is a word that meaning sharing, or participation. The fellowship of the church means that we share our lives with each other—our struggles and victories, our hurts and joys, our prayers, our shoulders to cry on, our arms to pick one another up.
V. The Church is people who observe communion regularly (v. 42).
The worship of God through communion is one of the two ordinances of the Church. It is a time of corporate worship and remembrance of the reason we are here—Christ's broken body and shed blood for our forgiveness so that we might be His body.
VI. The Church is people who prayer together often (v. 42).
Prayer is the uniting of the church in desperate dependence on God for his work and power in their lives.
VII. The Church is people who are amazed by what God is doing (v. 43).
When God is at work, the results are amazing. The apostles aren't doing signs and wonders today, but the miracle of God in changing lives is no less awe-inspiring.
VIII. The Church is people who care for and serve each other (vv. 44-46).
Those who have resources are to use them to help those who have needs. If we say we love God, how can we not use what He has given us to help others (1 John 3:17-18).
IX. The Church is people who are being added (v. 47).
God is at work, calling out a people for himself and adding them to the church (Acts 2:39). He is doing it through the clear preaching of the gospel in the Church, and through the witness of the Church as they disband to their homes, jobs, and communities.
Those who give the Church less than the supreme place God has given it do so at great harm to themselves. Don Whitney, in his book Spiritual Disciplines Within the Church, points out that the greatest command is to love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. He asks, How can we do that outside the church?
“A quick, unreluctant willingness to turn your back on the worship of God in order to work, attend ballgames (including children's ballgames), entertain guests, participate in recreational sports, and so forth may indicate to family, friends, and others that God really is not your first love. Or it may indicate that you are willing to let those who do not love God or care about His Kingdom’s activities determine your priorities, set your schedule, and keep you from the worship and work of God” (Don Whitney, Spiritual Discplines With in the Church, p. 20).

6 comments:

loren said...

Hi Pastor,

Just surfing by and saw another Christian blog, so I looked over your article.

I'm glad to see that you recently took your church back to the basics. We're about halfway through the basics on my blog.

If you don't mind, I would suggest a little clarification on your thoughts about the church. When people hear 'church' lots of them think of it as an organization and an end in itself. But of course it's purpose, like the purpose of the Bible itself, is to point us to the Lord.

The Bible without the Lord can be letter and death (2 Cor 3:6,17); and so too can the church be. But just as the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of Scripture (Rev 19:10) it is the spirit and life of the church, for God has set His seal on Him.

Sometimes people get these things confused, so it never hurts to reemphasize.

KenC said...

While I agree with most of your points, I think that there is some logic in the critiques that have suggested that putting Church before family is not the best idea.

Call it heresy, but I think that our primary responsibility should be to God, not Church and that a major part of God’s plan for our lives as parents is to raise our children in the fear of the Lord – not fear of the Church.

I’m not sure if you have children or not, but they grow up very quickly – so quickly that I need to focus my energy on them while they are malleable (train up a child ….), to instill my values, not those imparted (albeit with good intentions) by a surrogate instructor in the form of a Sunday School teacher, etc.

The New Testament Church was much different than it is today. I could spend every waking hour in church activities and not spend any time at work, or with my family. The Lord doesn’t think that work is optional, however, as Paul indicates, “If you don’t work, you don’t eat”. Nor should we get so caught up in the business of church activities that we don’t develop the relationship with the kids or our spouse. What is the impression that this leaves on a kid … “My dad, wow – yeah, he really knew how to drive that car to church, wish I could have had a conversation with him face to face instead of the back of his head going to and from church.” I know that I’m exaggerating the impact, but hang with me – I’m building straw men in making a point. ;^)

Do I have the answers? No, if you look at my Blog you’ll see I’m asking for direction as well. I just know that there is supposed to be something more in the fellowship of believers – not just compartmentalized, age and gender-specific teaching coupled with church growth objectives.

In Christ,

Ken

Larry said...

Thanks for your comments. My suggestion is certainly not to put church before family. My point is that I see no necessary conflict. Why isn't having your family in church, and being involved in the ministry with them the best thing you can do for your family?

I think relationships built on God and the church are the best relationships. I think your admitted straw man is a reach. I don't think the back of dad's head going to church is any worse than the back of dad's head going to an amusement park or a ballgame for family.

The point is that we do what is important to us. When church is important, we do it.

KenC said...

I don’t disagree with your sentiment, but honestly question if “Church” as we know it today is the best way to build this relationship with your child/spouse.

By all means, raising your child in an environment of fellow believers is much better than at the ballgame, amusement park etc. My question is if the structure of today’s Church is the best way to do this.

Typically speaking, families come in the door and the first thing that happens is that they are divided by age, sex or interest and shuttled off to their respective ministries. While there is great opportunity for learning in these sub-groups, there isn’t much of an opportunity for a parent/spouse to have a personal influence over the spiritual development of their loved ones.

As I mentioned before, the intentions of these surrogate spiritual leaders are typically right-minded, there is no building up of the family unit, and a reduced opportunity to know what mom or dad thinks about certain issues to build any spiritual relationship. I also remember certain teachers telling me things that are not Biblically accurate – thankfully, the Lord showed these things to me before I passed them down to my children. Those who bank on what these surrogates tell them without parental correction or guidance will have some misconceptions to work through as they grow in spiritual maturity.

I have been kicking this around in my head for some time and have come up with some alternatives – but have run into dead-ends. See http://lefthandrighthand.blogspot.com/2005/10/alternatives-to-traditional-church.html for my musings on the subject.

One idea that I had, that is not mentioned in my blog, is to have a family Sunday School class. Not divided by age, sex, interest, etc. but the whole family together learning about the Bible and growing together spiritually and with other believing families. While teaching the adult class in the Church before my last move, I brought this up as an option – but got voted down by the class. I understand the desire to build peer to peer relationships, but children are with you for so short a time – I wonder if there wouldn’t be more opportunity to build relationships with like minded families at the same time you build the relationship within your own family.

In Christ,

Ken

Frank Sansone said...

Larry,

I appreciate your thoughts here. I just preached on the same passage last week myself.

Ken,

While I sympathisize with some of your concerns about the dividing up of the family in some churches, I was wondering if perhaps the opportunity for the "parent/spouse to have personal influence over the spiritual development of their loved ones" is already there throughout the week. Perhaps children's Sunday School gives the children an opportunity for another believer to be involved in exhorting your children in the things of God, as well (Heb. 10:25 seems to imply that the responsibility to exhort is not a "fathers only" or "Pastors only" role, but rather a mutual (one another) role.

If we are taking our spiritual responsibility regarding our family seriously throughout the week, it seems that the additional influence of other Godly believers on our children would be appreciated and it would allow them to hear the same thing from a differnt voice instead.

I am not referring to the concept of children never being with the family in church like some churches do, but it seems that the once a week Sunday School (or similar item) should be encouraged rather than discouraged, imho.

In Christ,

Pastor Frank Sansone

KenC said...

I'm with you Frank - and I agree that there does need to be interaction with peers for affirmation, etc.

We, as a family, decided to homeschool our kids so that we can influence them spiritually on a day by day basis. Honestly, my wife (being their teacher) is doing more of the influencing, but you get the point. (So maybe this is all a subconscious need to make up for this imbalance? ;^))

I guess I am just reacting to the mode of operations within many churches that says "if you aren't here every night of the week, then you aren't committed to God".

As a parent that works outside of the home, are my evenings better spent going to Men's Bible Study on Monday, having my wife head out the door on Tuesday to Women's bible study, dropping the kids off at AWANA on Wednesday, attending the various committee meetings on Thursday and hitting the church Gym for Friday Night gender and age specific Game and Fellowship night - or spending time together as a family at home, building the relationship with them?

As I said before, the whole House Church movement piques my interest - but it seems like every time I start digging into it, I find bad things under rocks that I hit. (Charismania being the primary bug).

Please don't take this as a criticism of your role as a Pastor (Larry either), I think that the model has worked fairly well over the years in assimilating people into the Church through building peer-to-peer relationships. I'm just concerned with the generation after generation movement away from the Lord.

Maybe it is related to increasing pressures in the world, but I'm wondering if some "real" time with your family and other Christians in an inter-generational setting would give kids (and parents) a more solid foundation?

I read about evening worship taking place in family homes in the 1800's - they didn't rush in from work, grab a burger and hurry to Church to go to their respective age/gender classes. They took time together to learn about the Word.

Granted, if TV and secular companions are the only option - organized Church activities are a hands-down winner. I just wonder if there is something more, and am trying to find it.

Thanks for listening,

Ken