Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Christian Profession in Strange Places

I was pointed today to an article in World Magazine about an interview with Bono, the lead singer for the rock band U2. I don't know much about Bono, or U2, but I know in general that the rock culture is an unlikely place to find a Christian confession of Christ and grace. It is even more unlikely to find one as clear as Bono's. He says, in part,

... I'm holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity."

Then the interviewer marvels, "The Son of God who takes away the sins of the world. I wish I could believe in that."

"The point of the death of Christ is that Christ took on the sins of the world, so that what we put out did not come back to us, and that our sinful nature does not reap the obvious death," replies Bono. "It's not our own good works that get us through the gates of Heaven."

Later, when questioned about who Christ was, Bono says,
"Look, the secular response to the Christ story always goes like this: He was a great prophet, obviously a very interesting guy, had a lot to say along the lines of other great prophets, be they Elijah, Muhammad, Buddha, or Confucius. But actually Christ doesn't allow you that. He doesn't let you off that hook. Christ says, No. I'm not saying I'm a teacher, don't call me teacher. I'm not saying I'm a prophet. I'm saying: 'I'm the Messiah.' I'm saying: 'I am God incarnate.' . . . So what you're left with is either Christ was who He said He was—the Messiah—or a complete nutcase. . . . The idea that the entire course of civilization for over half of the globe could have its fate changed and turned upside-down by a nutcase, for me that's farfetched."
This is a gospel that is more clear than what is heard in most churches on Sunday mornings, and it comes from a very strange source. I had heard rumors of Bono's Christian faith but always looked on it with great skepticism. I must confess my skepticism still exists, but far less than before.

This testimony gives one pause to wonder how Bono could continue in his lifestyle, given this clear testimony. It also gives one pause to wonder exactly what Paul meant when he said that such a confession can come only by the Holy Spirit.

It does remind us of the amazing grace so richly poured out through Christ, by the grace of a great God who works in various and sometimes mysterious ways in people's lives. I don't know whether Bono is truly saved, but I know that a good many church members could not explain their faith so well.

3 comments:

Patrick Berryman said...

Great find Larry. I read Marvin Olasky's column regularly, but I don't go to World Magazine nearly enough. I'm impressed by the clarity with which Bono articulated his faith. There does appear to be an incongruity between his profession and his reputation in terms of lifestyle. But then again, he certainly uses his position to demonstrate compassion toward those that have need. While other celebrities appear to do this out of a sense of moral superiority, is it possible that Bono's charitable actions are motivated by Christian love? I'm reminded that man looks on the outside, but God knows the true motives behind what we do.

Anonymous said...

Why on earth Christians debate whether Bono is a Christian or not is beyond me. I mean seriously, some Christians talk about 'Grace' but are so works driven it's not funny! Look at the fruit of Bonos life, not the cigerette in his hand. Bono is seriously the best Christian i know, he's passionate about trusting in Christ, and he relies completely on His grace, he boasts in Christ all through his songs and he is full on challenging the whole world (and the church) to stop talking about helping the poor, and actually work together to accomplish it! And he does it all in Jesus name.

As for 'Bono's lifestyle', you know the Pharasees didn't agree with Jesus lifestyle either, he had a reputation as a 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners."

Seriously, it's so sad Christians act like such Pharasees by doubting Bono's faith, it's actually pathetic.

Larry said...

So let's see if I get this straight. It is wrong for me to doubt Bono's faith but it is okay for you to doubt my faith by calling me a Pharisee (people who were clearly unbelievers)?

Once again, it seems we are seeing some staggering hypocrisy from the "Judge not" crowd. You want to judge me for what was actually a pretty complimentary article about Bono. You want to question my faith and the sincerity of my belief in grace. It makes no sense for you to come in here and do that to me. It it hypocritical.

Another thing, if Bono is "seriously the best Christian you know" then you need to get out more. Local churches are filled with passionate grace driven Christ followers who will never have a stage in front of thousands but will live day after day in the grace of Christ reaching their neighbors with the gospel in a way that Bono never will.

Remember Christ's words about those who profess faith and call on certain "wonderful things" as an apologetic for it.

Matthew 7:18-23

"A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 "So then, you will know them by their fruits. 21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'