Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Civil Rights and the 60s

On Monday night, I watched American Experience on PBS. It was about the civil rights movement in America and the freedom riders. It was a fascinating and disturbing episode.

I was born in 1968, which was the year Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated, so for much of the civil rights movement, I was not even alive.

It boggles my mind that these conditions existed so recently.

It boggles my mind that people could make the kind of statements that were made (and still are in some places).

It boggles my mind that many churches were so late to the fight on this topic.

It makes me wonder what the big issues of our day are.

What is it that our children will look back on with embarrassment because we did not step to the front and use our voices?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"What is it that our children will look back on with embarrassment because we did not step to the front and use our voices?"

Abortion