Monday, August 27, 2007

Wierd Names, Inc.

I was in Toronto last week for a few days, with my wife pushing me around town in a wheelchair because of my (at that point unknown) herniated disk. It was a great vacation all except for the back and leg pain, the six hours in the Toronto General Hospital Emergency Room, and the relative discomfort of a wheelchair with a son on my lap.

I saw this store across the street, and wish I could have gotten a better picture, but this one should be sufficient to say, "Think before you name your store."



Note: I was informed by a friendly knowledgeable person Iwho apparently is a Canadian as well) that the Brick stores are among Canada's largest and most successful type stores. The name still sounds funny to me.

While I am posting a few pics, my son must be in practice to be a stocktrader.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larry,

The Brick Warehouse LP is Canada's largest retailer of furniture and related stuff so apparently the name hasn't hurt any.

Andy

Larry said...

That's interesting Andy. That was the only one I saw. Of course, my traveling was limited and I figured it wasn't hurting them too badly. It just made the wife and I laugh out loud at the irony. I think I have slept on a few brick mattresses.

Don Johnson said...

Larry, the Brick started in Edmonton when I was a teenager. The owner, a man named Bill Comrie, started out with a store called Comrie's Furniture Warehouse. He started running ads on TV where he would get on and yell at you. You know the type, I won't be undersold, best deal anywhere, blah, blah, blah. He was quite successful and moved his store into an old brick warehouse and began calling it the Big Brick Warehouse. He kept yelling on TV and making lots of money. Eventually the store simply became known as 'the Brick' and now has stores across the country.

Bill Comrie's son, Mike Comrie is an NHL player.

That's probably more information than you wanted to know!

Regards,
Don Johnson
Jer 33.3