Friday, July 28, 2006

Rubbing It In

My wife, who is always a genius shopper, goes down to the market almost every Saturday, usually just as the vendors are closing down for the day. As a result she often gets large boxes of fruits and vegetables for next to nothing. Over the last few years, she has gotten to know some people who have been very kind to us and kept us in fruits and vegetables. One man, in particular, is a man from Brazil who gives us, among other things, mushrooms.

So my wife called him last Saturday to find out if he was there. He told her to come down, but only if she brought our son. (He's great, by the way.)

So when she gets there, Leo says to her, "You remember the guy who got head-butted in the World Cup Final." She replies, "Yes." He says, "This is his uncle." Sure enough, the Italian player's uncle is there in the market, friends with this Brazilian man.

Of course, you can imagine the kind of trashtalking that an Italian was giving to an Brazilian after this recent World Cup. My wife said this Italian man was really enjoying his country's superiority, especially in the presence of a Brazilian.

Which reminds me that winning is always better than losing, but winning does not feel as good as losing feels bad. But at least you get to talk about it.

2 comments:

Bill Combs said...

Larry,
What market does she go to?

Larry said...

The Eastern Market downtown off Gratiot I think. I have been there once with her several years ago, so I am not sure exactly where it is, but I know it is at the Eastern Market.