Saturday, April 15, 2006

And Not a Moment Too Soon

A British broadcaster who traveled to the Philippines to participate in a Good Friday crucifixion got a last minute reprieve from God ... apparently.
At no point was it ever conveyed that I would definitely be crucified. At all times in this journey I have been guided by my God in ways I could never have predicted. Having experienced the humility of bearing my own cross through the streets, I felt my God wanted me only to pray at the foot of my cross.

Yes, and seeing those people whipped and nailed to crosses probably spoke pretty loudly too.

When will this world stop making a mockery out of the death of Christ? To say that an event like this draws them closer to God is mockery at its finest. When Jesus died, it wasn't for show, or religious piety. And it certainly wasn't for a documentary. He died to pay the price for our sins, and to give to use eternal life through the imputation of all of his righteousness to us and all of our sins to him.

When some dude whips himself and gets nailed to a cross for a few hours it mocks the glory of the crucifixion by turning it into some sideshow at the circus.

On this Easter weekend, may we remember Christ as he gruesomely died and gloriously rose again rather than the sideshow of useless human imitation. May God lift the blindness brought by sin and Satan so that we may see the light of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

And when you claim that God told you something, be prepared to show us from Scripture. All else is fallible. Don't take the name of the Lord in vain by using it for self-defense or comfort. Use his name only for what he would use it for.

No comments: